Most people are aware of the risk of identity theft related to financial records, social security number, etc. As a recipient of healthcare services, you also need to be aware of the risk of other people using your identity to obtain medical services under your insurance coverage. Medical Identity Theft is a real risk in our society and the consequences can be very serious. For example, if a person uses your identity to obtain services, your medical record may be compromised by the other person receiving treatment for illness that would be contradictory to your history.
Due to these risks, our office takes precautions to help protect your medical identity. This includes requiring our admissions staff to require that you show photo identification at the point of admission or at the point of your first visit. Please be understanding of our staff when they ask for your ID, as it is part of the process to help protect your Medical Identity. You should also be proactive in guarding and protecting your insurance numbers, Medicare number, and Social Security number.
You should be aware and watch for the following Red Flags as possible signs of Medical Identity Theft. If you become aware of any of these areas of concern, please let us know so we can assist you in making the necessary corrections and notifications of appropriate government agencies. If you prefer, we also encourage you to contact the Federal Trade Commission at 877-FTC-HELP to report any issues.
- You receive a bill or a notice of insurance benefits (Explanation of Benefits EOB) for services you did not receive.
- You receive a collection notice from a bill collector for a bill that you think does not relate to services you received
- Your insurance company notifies you that coverage for legitimate hospital stays is denied because insurance benefits have been depleted or a lifetime cap has been reached.
- You notice information added to your credit report by a healthcare provider or insurer.
- You receive an inquiry from an insurance fraud investigator or a Law enforcement agency.
Please take every measure to keep your identity…your identity.